Sunday, July 27

MVP of the week - Girl Power!



So I'm sure most of you saw the WNBA mini-brawl that went down between the Detroit Shock and the Los Angeles Sparks earlier this week. As much as I wish it hadn't happened (doesn't send a very good message to the kids, after all), everyone loves a good girl fight, and I'm no different. The only good thing that came out of the fight and the subsequent suspensions was this week's MVP.

The Detroit Shock was left short handed after the suspensions were handed down by the WNBA. Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman signed a 7-day contract with the league, and she played 9 minutes of a game against the Houston Comets on Thursday night. Nancy Lieberman is widely known as the greatest women's basketball player ever...and she's 50 years old. FIVE-ZERO!! Think about a 50 year-old woman that you know. Now imagine her holding her own for 9 minutes in a professional basketball game with women half her age. I LOVE IT!!

I know a lot of people don't take the WNBA seriously. I happen to love women's basketball, and most of all, what the WNBA stands for. I'm so glad the league has continued to thrive these last 12 years. I think its awesome that girls with game have professionals to look up to. It is my honor to bestow LLR's MVP of the week award to Nancy Lieberman. Yo, Nancy - I got next!

-boogie

No comments: